When I first walked into the Animation Academy in California Adventure Park, I was completely floored. The spacious room highlighting Disney movies and scenes from our favorite flicks shown bright on large screens and projected so much creative goodness, that I just wanted to cry. Yes, that is right, I got pretty emotional being there. Floods of creative tears here.
Movies like LILO AND STITCH, SNOW WHITE, (which looked AMAZING considering the age of the film) CINDERELLA, (equally amazing) FINDING NEMO, and many, many others graced the large screens that loomed over the room.
The Animation Academy showcases the secrets of drawing and the amazing thing is you can flex your own creative juices and walk a way with a drawing of your own. In my opinion, this attraction is one of the most under appreciated in Disney’s California Adventure Park. I had such an amazing time soaking everything in, it was hard to believe that people actually get paid to create.
Unfortunately, because the AA is not an actual studio, you would not be able to see artist’s hard at work. This is a bummer because it truly is fascinating to see how creators process and work on their labor of love.
Here are some highlights and takeaways of The Animation Academy:
- You don’t need a reservation for the drawing classes. Every 30 minutes a new class opens and it is simply a first come, first serve basis.
- In the Sorcerer’s Workshop, you can create your very own animation in the Magic Mirror Realm, visit the Beast’s Library and lend your voice in Ursula’s Grotto.
- Step into Crush’s totally tubular room and interact with the hip turtle via a “hydrophone.”
- If you are tired, need to rest your feet and cool down this is the PERFECT place to be. I actually seen people take naps here and I totally envied them.
- It is so much fun to interact with others who may not be the best at drawing, but you would be amazed as to how much talent radiated from the audience! Kudos to all that have the courage to showcase their work!
You can check out the experience here! I am sure you will fall in love with it as much as I did!